Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Essay question 3

Conscience is a very powerful motivator. It's the thing that we associate with guilt and with love and with right and wrong. As Christians, we believe that it is God's character showing through us. However, I believe it is very possible for us to choose our priorities in a way that dulls our conscience. If we prioritize success, or wealth or achievements over our feelings of right and wrong then slowly we can dull our conscience and then make it less of a motivator.
There is a saying, "A conscientious business man will fail." and I believe that this is referring to the world's outlook on wealth and fame. A man that sticks to his morals and puts effort into things above and beyond of what is expected, will usually fall behind in life; but not necessarily in what matters.
It depends on who the person is, and what their priorities are. Conscience can be the most powerful motivator in certain peoples lives but can be pushed to the back of others' priorities. I think we just have to decide what matters to us the most and stick to it. It is not always going to be a powerful motivator, but I believe that we should try to make it so.

No comments:

Post a Comment