Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Rescued!

Two teenage boys were saved from drowning Monday evening, at the South Pier. The boys, Alan Boyd and Tony Slater, had been fishing off the South Pier when suddenly a huge wave swept over them and Tony was swept into the ocean. "There was nothing I could do to stop myself," said the unfortunate youth. Alan Boyd, his friend, quickly jumped in after Tony. "I didn't think; I just jumped in to try and help him," said Alan.

Alan's actions were bold but very nearly cost both their lives. He quickly found himself to overwhelmed by the undercurrent and was unable to pull his friend to safety. "His friend jumped in but he was not a strong swimmer and he started to struggle," said eyewitness Joy Revel.

Miss Revel's boyfriend phoned for help but it would have been too late if not for the quick thinking and brave actions of Mark Stebbings. Mark, a local lifeguard, saw the boy's predicament and jumped in after the two friends. He rescued Tony and then went back to rescue Alan. The hero of the hour, Mark, said, "I don't think of myself as a hero. I didn't want any fuss made. I just did what anyone else would have done."

His mother, however, had something else to say, "I'm very proud of Mark. It's just the kind of thing he would do. He has always been very daring." Whatever the case may be, the two boys owe their lives to the quick thinking and brave actions of Mark Stebbings.

No comments:

Post a Comment